Breakfast gives you energy to start the day. A healthy breakfast is important for everyone. Get the morning nutrition you need with these quick breakfast ideas.
- Make instant oatmeal with low-fat milk instead of water. Toss in raisins or dried cranberries and chopped walnuts.
- Layer low-fat plain yogurt with your favorite crunchy whole grain cereal and blueberries.
- Blend a breakfast smoothie with low-fat milk, frozen strawberries and a banana.
- Make one packet of microwave oatmeal with low-fat milk. Mix in 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce. Sprinkle with apple pie spice or cinnamon.
- Top a toaster waffle with low-fat yogurt and peach slices.
- Stuff a whole-wheat pita with a sliced, hard-cooked egg and low-fat shredded cheese.
- Spread a flour tortilla with peanut butter. Add a whole banana and roll it up.
- Spread low-fat cream cheese on a whole-grain toasted bagel. Top with sliced strawberries.
- Add lean ham and low-fat Swiss cheese to a toasted whole-grain English muffin.
If your taste buds just don’t crave traditional breakfast foods, try these choices:
- Peanut butter and banana sandwich on whole-grain bread
- Leftover veggie pizza
- Deli turkey, a slice of low-fat cheese and lettuce wrapped in a whole wheat tortilla
- Leftover rice mixed with low-fat yogurt, dried fruit and nuts. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Corn tortilla with mashed avocado, black beans, salsa, and low-fat shredded cheddar cheese
Power up with a healthy breakfast and you’re off to a great start to your day AND to a healthier you!
Source: The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics